York Orientation Day | Vanier College Academic Orientation
Tuesday September 3, 2019
Colleges at York University are vital hubs of connection for students and faculty. Each academic program of study is affiliated with a College; your program is affiliated with Vanier College.
Vanier College provides a warm, friendly setting for students to meet other students, faculty, and staff members. Not only do we host the Fall Orientation for your program, we also collaborate with your respective program to offer workshops suited to your program of study. These workshops are designed to help you in every aspect of university life, such as essay writing, library skills, time management, and choosing a major.
REGISTER for York Orientation Day via YU Start Login Page
Where: Near the end of August, you will receive a ticket in the mail, as well as an email, indicating your "program-specific" venue.
For Check-in bring your YU-Card and Ticket
More information about York Orientation Day
Parent and Family Orientation-
Saturday, Aug 31, 2019
Want to learn about all the opportunities, services and resources that York University has to offer you and your student?
Please consider joining us for Parents & Family Orientation.
What you can expect at Parents & Family Orientation:
- Welcoming remarks from senior administration
- An exploration of exciting and challenging student transitional topics including:
- How to support mental health and wellness
- Important Deadlines
- Student success
- Money Matters - an optional session presented by Student Financial Services
The afternoon gives parents and families the opportunity to meet and have lunch with their student's College Head. Here, they can learn about academic support services, social activities, recreational activities, and facilities related specifically to the College.
Complete details about location and parking will be sent to registered attendees one week prior to the event.
Register here for Parent and Family Orientation
For more information on York University's central Parent & Family Orientation, please visit: http://family.yorku.ca/parents-family-orientation/
Vanier College Winter Academic Orientation
Friday, January 4th, 2019
The Office of the Head, Vanier College invites you to Vanier's Winter Orientation on Friday, January 4th, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. in room 001 Vanier College.
This Orientation is specific to your program of study and is mandatory for all incoming students. Whether you are coming from high school, transferring from a community college or entering as an international student, Academic Orientation will help you make a successful transition to university life.
Register for Vanier's Winter Orientation here
The following is the agenda for Vanier's Winter Academic Orientation, Friday Jan. 4th:
During the Campus Services Fair, students will have a chance to connect directly to key campus partners who can support their first-year transition. These services including student finances, learning resources, writing support, libraries, community safety, transportation and parking, athletics, health and wellness resource to name a few. During the fair, you can also join a First Year Tour – Where you will be joining the RED Zone Ambassadors in an indoor tour around Keele campus. Tours leave every hour from 12 pm, 1 pm and 2 pm from the Vari Hall Kiosk. The tour is designed to help you familiarize yourself with key areas (where to eat, where to workout, getting your YU-Card) and also teaches you how to find your classrooms, reading the map and understanding your course timetable!
For more information visit: http://orientation.yorku.ca/
We look forward to seeing you on Friday, January 4th, 2019 for Vanier's Academic Orientation.
If you have any questions, please contact our main line 416-736-5192 or email email@example.com
- On average, ~85% of students attending Vanier's Orientations over the years have found it to be a valuable experience
- Students who attend Orientation have higher success rates in their first year
Top Ten Reasons Students Liked Attending Orientation
- I found it helpful to meet the coordinator of my program
- I was able to meet my program adviser and ask questions
- I liked connecting with other incoming students in my program
- The Peer Mentors were very helpful and answered all my questions
- I now know where to find things on campus
- I learned how to get my money’s worth from tuition by accessing York's resources and services
- I learned how to balance my course load with other commitments
- I learned important features of academic culture and how they differ from high school
- I learned about the amazing range of social, athletic, and extracurricular opportunities at York
- I learned what it means to be a part of the York and Vanier community